HESI A2 Scores
The HESI Admissions Assessment (A2) Exam is used by Nursing school to aid in their admissions process. Your HESI A2 scores help the school determine whether they believe you are capable of completing your nursing program successfully, and ultimately passing your NCLEX exams. Each of the different HESI Exams (there are a total of 10 potential exams) is scored separately on a scale of 0 to 100. Each school utilizes the HESI A2 differently - from which tests they ask you to take to what minimum scores they require.
The meaning of your HESI A2 Entrance Exam scores for each test are described below.
The HESI math test evaluates a student's math skills at an eighth or ninth grade level. Your math scores can be evaluated as follows:
90% to 100% (Excellent) - Student demonstrates ability to calculate all levels of medication administration.
80% to 89% (Very Good) - Student is capable of calculating basic medication administration but should seek help to calculate higher level calculations
75% to 79% (Satisfactory) - Student will need assistance in performing medication calculations
Below 75% (Needs Improvement) - Student will require formal math remediation, either prior to entering a nursing program or with entry level courses.
Vocabulary and General Knowledge
Several studies suggest that adult IQ can be measured by vocabulary knowledge. Your vocabulary scores indicate:
- 90% to 100% (Excellent) - Student has at least a tenth grade reading level. The student is capable of reading and understanding typical nursing textbooks.
- 80% to 89% (Very Good) - Student will most likely be successful in Nursing school, but may require additional reading time for comprehension. Student will also spend more time determining the meaning of terms that they do not know.
- 75% to 79% (Satisfactory) - Reading assignments will be harder and require more time for a student. Student may require additional tutoring.
- Below 75% (Needs Improvement) - Student will require more formal help in reading and vocabulary prior to entering the Nursing program.
The HESI Reading test evaluates a student's comprhension and basic reading skills at an eighth or ninth grade level. The reading comprehension scores predict:
- 90% to 100% (Excellent) - Student is fully capable of reading and understanding a typical nursing textbook.
- 80% to 89% (Very Good) - Student should comprehend most of the information in a Nursing textbook, but may need to spend more time on more complex topics.
- 75% to 79% RN/70% to 79% PN (Satisfactory) - Students may struggle keeping pace with heavy reading assignments.
- Below 75% RN/Below 70% PN (Needs Improvement) - Student will require more formal help in reading.
The HESI A2 Grammar test assess a student's basic grammar skills at an eighth or ninth grade level. The grammar scores indicate:
- 90% to 100% (Excellent) - Students are fully capable of producing grammatically correct writing assignments with little difficulty. Student should be capable of understanding typical nursing textbooks.
- 80% to 89% (Very Good) - Student is capable of completing a grammatically correct writing assignment. Student may, however, require that the assignment be proofread prior to submission.
- 75% to 79% (Satisfactory) - Student may struggle with grammar with both written assignments as well as verbal communications. Student would find outside help with English and Grammar to be beneficial.
- Below 75% (Needs Improvement) - Student should attend a English/Grammar remediation program prior to entry into a Nursing program.
Subject Tests (Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Physics)
These tests attempt to evaluate a student's understanding of the subject matter. These tests are typically givenif a nursing program requires the subject as a pre-requisite.
- 90% to 100% (Excellent) - Student displays a thorough knowledge of the subject. Student should demonstrate success in the sciences required of a Nursing program.
- 80% to 89% (Very Good) - Student should be well prepared for entry into the Nursing program.
- 75% to 79% (Satisfactory) - Student demonstrates satisfactory knowledge of the subject, but may require additional assistance and/or tutoring.
- Below 75% (Needs Improvement) - Student requires remediation or needs to retake the subject prior to entry.
While each nursing program uses the HESI exams differently, it is important that you do well in order to secure your spot!