Pass your EA exam with one of the best enrolled agent courses listed below.
Enrolled agents are in charge of representing US taxpayers in front of the IRS. As an EA, you will be able to represent individuals, corporations, and other entities that file taxes.
All of the enrolled agent courses below include practice questions, videos, practice exams, and more to help you prepare.
Our team based these reviews on budget, learning style, guarantees, and more.
Please note that our team has weeded out a number of enrolled agent courses and have listed our findings for the “best of the best” below.
Table of Contents
- Our Picks for Best Enrolled Agent Course
- Comparison Table
- Who Needs an Enrolled Agent Course
- Fast Forward Academy
Our Pick for Best Enrolled Agent Course
scroll right on mobile to see entire table
|Enrolled Agent Prep Courses||Surgent||Gleim||Fast Forward Academy|
|Pricing||$499 - $999||$380 - $630||$550|
|Subscription Length||Until You Pass||Until You Pass||Until You Pass|
|Videos||25+ Video Lectures||14+ Hours||10+ Hours|
|Compatible on ALL Devices|
Becoming an enrolled agent takes a lot of studying and dedication. Enrolled agents are vey valuable and can help anyone or entity that files taxes.
The EA exam is not easy – if you do not take the exam seriously and put in the study time, you will most likely not pass. Enrolled agent courses are a great way to save time and have all your study materials in one, easy to access place.
Think of your purchase of an enrolled agent prep course as an investment in your future. You will be spending some money up front, but it will pay for itself in the long run.
Factors to Consider
- Study discipline – if you routinely have trouble maintaining a study schedule, you’ll find that a prep course is worth it.
- Improvement needed – take a free EA exam practice test to see where you stand. If your score needs improvement, an EA exam review course will be just what you need.
- Need for motivation – if you need motivation, feedback and encouragement, a prep course with an instructor or online lectures is a great option.
- Budget – These courses are not cheap. Think of it as an investment in your future. Check out our best value option or some of the “lower end” options these providers offer.
- Learning style – Every person learns best in different ways. Some courses may focus on practice questions and exams, while others may focus on lecture videos or textbooks.
Benefits of an Enrolled Agent Course
- Simulates actual test – the online exams included in most Enrolled Agent courses will simulate the actual test and help you become more familiar with the actual exam before you take it.
- Comprehensive study plans – Enrolled Agent prep courses will help you craft, and stick to, a customized study schedule that works for you.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses – the best Enrolled Agent courses offer advanced diagnostics to identify the topics you need to focus on.
Why an Enrolled Agent Prep Course May Not Be Your Only Option
- Expensive – the best Enrolled Agent courses may be over $800.
- Time-consuming – prep courses often require significant study/prep time.
- DIY alternative - self-study using prep books may be a cost-effective alternative.
Bottom Line - If you want to become an Enrolled Agent and pass the EA exam the first time around, you should consider an Enrolled Agent course.
Enrolled Agent Exam Course Reviews
- Test-Guide Rating: T-G Recommended
- Price:Starting at $499
Surgent EA Course Feature Summary
Surgent Pros and Cons
Surgent offers their enrolled agent course at three different price points - $499, $699, and $999. For our purposes, we will be looking at the EA Review Ultimate Pass ($999) course. The course is online and self-paced, perfect for those who want to learn at their own pace. Students will have access to the course until they pass. The course also includes a 100% money-back guarantee.
Some core features of this course include 1800+ multiple-choice questions, 25+ video lectures, and unlimited practice exams. The practice exams pull questions from the question bank, so every practice exam is fresh. The practice exams do a great job at mimicking the actual exam as they are aligned the same and follow the same EA exam content outline.
Some features and resources that are exclusive to the Ultimate Pass include printed textbooks and flashcards, 1-on-1 coaching, audio lectures for all exam sections, and access to two additional courses (Excel for Professionals and Ethics for Tax Professionals Continuing Education Course).
If budget is not an issue and you want to ensure you pass the EA exam the first time around, we suggest the Ultimate Pass course. If you just want to focus on one section of the EA exam, Surgent offers courses for $189.
Best features of Surgent – Availability of different pricing options. Have great options at all price points.
- Test-Guide Rating: T-G Recommended
- Price: Starting at $380
Gleim EA Course Feature Summary
Gleim Pros and Cons
Gleim’s Premium Enrolled Agent course is available for $630. The course includes 4000 practice questions, 14+ hours of lecture videos, textbooks, and one practice exam. All practice questions include detailed answer explanations - some exam questions are even from previous exams that have been released by the IRS.
This course is also self-paced with the main portion of the course taking place online. Gleim has technology called SmartAdapt that helps guide students through the course and detects certain strengths and weaknesses to help save time. Pair that with the interactive study planner, and you will find yourself saving a ton of time studying.
Every lecture within the course comes with audio lectures which are perfect for those who want to learn while on the go. The course is set up to mimic the actual testing environment you will find when you take the course – this helps create a sense of familiarity before taking the actual EA exam.
Gleim's Traditional Enrolled Agent course is available for $529.95. This course does not have as many features as the premium course, but will get the job done. Students will recieve both digital and printed books, detailed answer explanations, audio lectures, and more. Students can also purchase just the question bank for $379.85.
Best features of Gleim – Number of practice questions and use of technology.
- Test-Guide Rating:
- Price: $550
Fast Forward Academy EA Course Feature Summary
Fast Forward Academy Pros and Cons
Fast Forward Academy offers their premium enrolled agent course for $550. Students will have access to the course until they pass. The course includes automatic updates, so if an exam related change is made, the changes will be reflected in the course.
Students will have access to 10+ hours of video lectures, 3500 practice questions, unlimited practice exams, digital flashcards, and both paperback and online textbooks. The video lectures are short and concise – the perfect time to keep your full attention.
One unique feature of this course is the split-view learning technology. Students will be able to have their learning materials side-by-side to practice questions. This helps save time and reinforce various concepts.
Students can also utilize the goal setting technology of the course to reach their goals and follow their goals with various progress metrics within the course. Students are given the option to purchase printed flashcards as an add-on to their course – this is only if you want the physical flashcards, the course includes a digital version of the flashcards.
Best feature of Fast Forward Academy – Combination of practice questions and practice exams.
Enrolled Agent Course FAQS