Students looking to cap off their grueling massage school schedule with the success of graduation should prepare for their final exam by taking a MBLEx practice test. After all, it would be a shame to put in that much work only to fall short at the end. The MBLEx exam is the final hurdle on the journey to becoming a licensed massage therapist.
Whatever your path until this point, you'll need to bring your "A-Game" to the testing center. These resources will help you ace the exam and provide you with free MBLEx practice tests to help you prepare.
Summary: Get ready for your MBLEx exam by using some MBLEx practice exams to prepare.
Free MBLEx Practice Tests and Resources
|MBLEx Practice Test 1||15 question practice exam to help you prepare.||Massage-Exam|
|MBLEx Practice Test 2||10 question practice exam to help you get ready for your exam.||Test-Questions|
|MBLEX Flashcards 1||Review 195 flashcards to prepare for the MBLEx exam.||Quizlet|
|MBLEX Flashcards 2||Review 500+ flashcards to study for the MBLEx.||Quizlet|
MBLEx Test Overview
The MBLEx is comprised of 100 questions and increases in difficulty as you move through the exam. Since the test is administered on a computer, every correct answer will increase the difficulty of the next until a question is answered incorrectly. An incorrect answer will start the process over.
In short, the MBLEx is customized to your individual abilities so don't put too much thought into the increased difficulty aspect and just answer questions the best you can.
Sections on the MBLEx Exam
- Physiology and Anatomy: 12% of the exam will be comprised of questions that are related to body system functions, structures, tissue injury, and repair.
- Kinesiology: 12% of the exam is based on body components and the characteristics of muscles including contractions, proprioceptors, joint function, and range of motion.
- Pathology: 14% of the MBLEx is based on pathology, contradictions, and special populations. This will includes areas of caution and an overview of pathologies.
- Soft Tissue Manipulation: 15% of the exam will be comprised of questions related to the physiological and psychological effects of soft tissue manipulation. This includes factors like hot/cold application and massage modalities.
- Client Assessment and Treatment Planning: 17% of questions will be based on assessing clients' needs and effective treatment plans. Tested skills will include massage session organization, consultation techniques, and creating client treatment goals.
- Ethics, Laws, and Regulations: 16% of the MBLEx is based around a student's understanding of ethics, professional boundaries, and the laws surrounding massage therapy. Specifically, communication, confidentiality, and sexual misconduct are issues that are addressed.
- Professional Practice Guidelines: 15% of the exam is based on the proper use of massage equipment, healthy hygienic practices, and even business practices.
MBLEx Testing Process
As an overview, let's look at the 5 steps to taking the MBLEx.
Step 1: Apply for the exam. You can do this online or by mail. Wait at least 5 days for the application to be processed.
Step 2: If approved, officials will email you an authorization letter. You can then schedule the MBLEx online or by phone.
Step 3: After making the appointment, the testing center will send you an email to confirm your testing date and time.
Step 4: Take the MBLEx.
Step 5: Get results at your local testing center. These results are sent to the state board and/or agency within 24 hours.
Eligibility Requirements for the MBLEx
For starters, you will need to have a certification provided by an approved massage prep program that shows either enrollment or successful completion of it. Programs are approved by state boards of their location, which will have varying requirements.
The educational program that you're taking will be responsible for sending over transcripts. Students are not allowed to send transcripts.
Students can apply for the test online. Upon approval, the FSMTB will then send an authorization form via email. At that time, students can schedule to take the test. This date must be within 90 days of receiving the authorization.
As of the time of writing this guide, the cost is $265. It can be taken online or over the phone. You'll be required to show the authorization letter before taking the test so make sure it's kept safe.
You can locate test centers and sign up for the exam on the official site.
Retaking the MBLEx
Candidates who fail the MBLEx are allowed to retake the exam 30 days after the previous testing date. Students will need to use their FSMTB account to reapply. There are no limits to the number of attempts that a student gets on the MBLEx but certain states are allowed to place a limit. Check with your local offices to verify this.
The entire fee must also be repaid before retaking the exam.
Identification to Bring
When you visit the testing center on the day of the exam, you must present two forms of identification to be allowed into the site.
- Primary Identification: This must include a photo and signature. It also cannot be expired. Either a Driver's License or State Issued Identification is considered a valid primary ID.
- Secondary Identification: This must include a signature but does not have to include a photo.
It's also worth noting that both forms of identification used must exactly match the name registered on the test.
In addition to taking an MBLEx practice test, there are some questions that you'll want answered in order to prepare for this exam. Here are some of the most common ones.
What Does the Phrase “Computer-Adaptive Test” Mean?
- Question 1 (Difficulty 1): Correct Answer.
- Question 2 (Difficulty 2): Correct Answer.
- Question 3 (Difficulty 3): Incorrect Answer
- Question 4 (Difficulty 1): Correct Answer
Am I Guaranteed to Get a Massage License if I Pass the MBLEx?
- A Background Check
- Reference Letters
- Additional Training including CPR and First Aid
- Health Certificate and/or TB Test
- Practical and State Jurisprudence Exams (Depending on State)
What Are the Best Studying Methods for the MBLEx?
Is There a Minimum Amount of Educational Hours Required to Take the MBLEx?
Taking an MBLEx practice test is one of the best ways to make sure you're properly prepared to pass the exam. However, students must remember that testing is only one factor in obtaining a license in massage therapy. Still, it's an important step!