Use our ASE practice test and study resources to earn your ASE certification. Study with actual ASE questions and answers.
You will find similar questions on our ASE practice tests as the actualAutomotive Service Excellence (ASE)exam. All of our exams include automatic scoring and offer explanations to all answers.
Summary: Try our free ASE practice test below to see how you do.
Free ASE Practice Test
- ASE A1 Engine Repair Practice Test
- ASE A2 Automatic Transmission / Transaxle Practice Test
- ASE A3 Manual Drive Train Practice Test
- ASE A4 Suspension Steering Practice Test
- ASE A5 Brakes Practice Test
- ASE A6 Electrical Electronic Systems Practice Test
- ASE A7 Heating Air Conditioning Practice Test
- ASE A8 Engine Performance Practice Test
ASE Study Guides
If you prefer to study with an ASE study guide, view the resources below:
|ASE Automobile||Official study guide from the ASE.||ASE|
|ASE Medium / Heavy Truck||Official study guide from the ASE.||ASE|
|ASE Collision Repair and Refinish||Official study guide from the ASE.||ASE|
|ASE Parts Specialist||Official study guide from the ASE.||ASE|
ASE Exam Description
ASE certification is granted to automotive professionals who have gained at least two or more years of relevant work experience in their field and passed the required ASE certification test.
ASE certification provides an automotive professional with a shoulder insignia bearing the ASE logo, an ID card for their wallet, and a framed certificate for his or her shop.
These items convey trustworthiness and professionalism to automotive customers, so utilization of available ASE practice tests and other resources is vital for any automotive professional.
The ASE offers many certifications covering all aspects of the automotive repair and automotive service industries. There are over 40 ASE certifications available.
(click on image to enlarge)
ASE Auto Maintenance and Light Repair Certification Test (G1)
This test includes 55 scored questions, as well as 10 research questions which are not scored. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to the maintenance or light repairs of:
- Engine Systems
- Automatic Transmissions
- Manual Drive Train/Axles
- Heating/Air Conditioning
ASE Automobile & Light Truck Certification Tests (A1-A9)
This series of tests is intended for those who will perform vehicle repairs as a part of their job function. Candidates must show an understanding of the skills and knowledge necessary in order to service and repair cars, light trucks, and SUVs. Tests offered in this series include:
- A1 – Engine Repair
- A2 – Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
- A3 – Manual Drive Train & Axles
- A4 – Suspension & Steering
- A5 – Brakes
- A6 – Electrical/Electronic Systems
- A7 – Heating & Air Conditioning
- A8 – Engine Performance
- A9 – Light Vehicle Diesel Engines
ASE Collision Repair & Refinish Certification Tests (B2-B5)
Those who wish to be recognized as ASE-Certified Master Collision Repair Technicians will take this certification test. Candidates must show the ability to analyze and repair damage due to automotive collision, as well as paint damage. Tests offered in this series include:
- B2 – Painting & Refinishing
- B3 – Non-Structural Analysis & Damage Repair
- B4 – Structural Analysis & Damage Repair
- B5 – Mechanical & Electrical Components
ASE Damage Analysis & Estimating Certification Test (B6)
This certification test is intended to evaluate professionals who provide estimates for repairs due to collision damage. Candidates must be able to properly analyze and estimate collision damage on an automobile. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to the assessment of damage such as:
- Damage Analysis
- Legal/Environmental Practices
- Vehicle Construction
- Vehicle Systems
- Parts Identification/Source
- Customer Relations/Sales
ASE Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1)
Any automotive professionals who work in a service consultant role must pass this certification. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to automotive customer service such as:
- Customer/Internal Relations
- Vehicle Systems Knowledge
- Sales Ability
- Shop Operations
ASE Truck Equipment Certification Tests (E1-E3)
Those who wish to be recognized as ASE-Certified Master Truck Equipment Technicians must pass this certification test. Candidates must show the ability to diagnose and repair various truck equipment, as well as related systems, on all truck and tractor classes. Tests offered in this series include:
- E1 – Truck Equipment Installation & Repair
- E2 – Electrical/Electronic Systems Installation & Repair
- E3 – Auxiliary Power Systems Installation & Repair
ASE Alternate Fuels Certification Test (F1)
This certification test is intended to evaluate technicians for their ability to demonstrate and apply skills needed in order to diagnose, service, or repair compressed natural gas automobiles. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to:
- Vehicle Inspection
- Equipment Installation
- Leak Testing/Repairs
- System Diagnosis
- Cylinder Safety
ASE Transit Bus Certification Tests (H1-H8)
This test is intended to evaluate the ability of Transit Bus Technicians to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose, service, or repair various transit bus systems.
Tests offered in this series include:
- H1 – Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Engines
- H2 – Diesel Engines
- H3 – Drive Train
- H4 – Brakes
- H5 – Suspension & Steering
- H6 – Electrical/Electronic Systems
- H7 – Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- H8 – Preventive Maintenance & Inspection (PMI)
ASe Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification Test (L1)
This test is intended to evaluate the ability of technicians to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose problems related to emissions and sophisticated drivability in automobiles, light-duty trucks, and SUVs. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to:
- General Power Train Diagnosis
- Computerized Power Train Controls
- Ignition Systems
- Fuel/Air Induction Systems
- Emission Control Systems
ASE Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist Certification Test (L2)
This test is intended to evaluate the ability of technicians to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose problems related to the performance of sophisticated diesel engines. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to:
- General Diesel Engine Diagnosis
- Electronic Diesel Engine Controls
- Diesel Engine Air Induction/Exhaust Systems
- Diesel Fuel System
ASE Light Duty Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Specialist Certification Test (L3)
This test is intended to evaluate the ability of technicians to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose problems related to hybrid/electric automobiles, light-duty trucks, and SUVs. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to:
- Battery System Diagnosis
- Internal Combustion Engine
- Drive System
- Power Electronics
- Hybrid Support Systems
ASE Parts Specialist Certification Tests (P1, P2, and P4)
This test is intended to elevate the level of service offered by automobile specialists as well as medium-heavy truck parts specialists.
Tests offered in this series include:
- P1 – Medium-Heavy Truck Parts Specialist
- P2 – Automobile Parts Specialist
- P4 – General Motors Parts Consultant
ASe Medium-Heavy Truck Certification Tests (T1-T8)
This test is intended to evaluate the ability of Medium and Heavy Truck Technicians to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose, service, or repair various Class 4- Class 8 tractors and trucks.
Tests offered in this series include:
- T1 – Gasoline Engines
- T2 – Diesel Engines
- T3 – Drive Train
- T4 – Brakes
- T5 – Suspension & Steering
- T6 – Electrical/ Electronic Systems
- T7 – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- T8 – Preventive Maintenance Inspection
Undercar Specialist Exhaust Systems Test (X1)
This test is intended to evaluate the ability of technicians to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to diagnose and repair problems related to automobile brakes, suspension/steering, and exhaust systems. This test requires candidates to demonstrate knowledge related to:
- Exhaust System Inspection/Repair
- Emissions Systems Diagnosis/Repair
- Regulations Regarding Exhaust System Repairs
For more information on the exam, visit the official site.
All ASE certification tests are available throughout the year. Upon registration for your desired ASE exam, you will have 90 days to schedule your test appointment at your closest Prometric testing center.
Tests are administered morning, afternoon, evenings, and weekends according to availability.
Test registration dates for the ASE are as follows:
|ASE Test Registration||Registration Dates|
|Winter||January 10 - March 31|
|Spring||April 10 - June 30|
|Summer||July 10 - September 30|
|Fall||October 10 - December 31|
ASE Test Fees
Registration for any combination of ASE certification tests carries a $36 fee. However, this fee is only applicable once in any 90-day window in which you apply for certification tests. Additionally:
- Most certification tests are $39 each, with the exception of L1, L2, and L3
- Advance Level Certification Tests- L1, L2, and L3- are $78 each
- Recertification fees are the same as their initial certification tests, with a limit of $117 regardless of the amount of recertification tests registered for
For ASE certification exams completed on a computer, a detailed score report is available immediately upon completion of your test(s).
Scores for written tests are mailed out about 4 weeks following completion of the ASE certification test.
How can I pass my ASE Test?
We offer various practice exams for different levels of the ASE.
How much does an ASE test cost?
Advance level certification tests cost $78 each. Fees are only applicable once in any 90-day window.
Are ASE tests hard?
If you spend the necessary time studying and preparing you will do fine on the exam.