Use our free CDL Hazmat Practice Tests (updated for 2020) to pass your exam. Passing the CDL Hazmat Test is important for Commercial Driver's License (CDL) operators who wish to transport hazardous materials (HAZMAT) (e.g., have a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) on their license). Hazardous materials are broadly defined as any products that may pose a risk to safety, health or property during transportation.
Actual CDL questions and answers from the real test will help you pass!
Test-Guide.com's Free CDL Hazmat Practice Tests
CDL Hazmat Test Overview
The CDL HAZMAT Test is a test taken by commercial truck drivers in order to obtain their “hazardous materials (HAZMAT)” endorsement for their commercial driver’s license (CDL). This endorsement allows drivers to transport materials which have been deemed “hazardous” according to government regulations, including:
- Flammable or Combustible Liquids
- Any Other Materials That May Cause Harm
Performance on the CDL HAZMAT Test can have a significant impact on a professional driver’s income and career. A driver who does not have a HAZMAT endorsement on their CDL is severely limited in the items they may transport and may often miss out on employment opportunities as a result.
CDL HAZMAT practice tests and other resources are available for those interested in preparing for their CDL HAZMAT Test. Utilization of these resources is vital for those looking to earn their HAZMAT Endorsement for their CDL. For more resources about the Commercial Driver's License, see our CDL Site.
Note: The format, length, and requirements of the CDL HAZMAT Test may differ according to which state you live in.
CDL HAZMAT Practice Tests and Recommended Study Resources
There are many online resources available for those looking to prepare for the CDL HAZMAT Test. Many of these online resources can be found absolutely free online, such as:
Free CDL HAZMAT Practice Tests and Sample Questions including:
- HAZMAT Endorsement Practice Test
- Printable Hazmat Practice Test (pdf)
- CDL HazMat Practice Test from cdltest.co
- HazMat sample questions from TruckingTruth
Free Study Guides, Flashcards, and Other Materials Including:
CDL HAZMAT Test Content Description
Please note that the format, length, and requirements of the real test may differ according to which state you live in. In some cases, an additional course may be required before an endorsement can be issued. Please check with your local DMV for full details and requirements.
The CDL HAZMAT Endorsement is extremely important, because it relates to the safety of not only the driver, but every other driver on the road as well. Obtaining your CDL HAZMAT Endorsement ensures that you are fully qualified and prepared to deal with a potentially dangerous occurrence. This protects you, the company you work for, as well as the general public should a situation arise.
Due to the safety implications of transporting hazardous materials, earning your CDL HAZMAT endorsement is detailed process that includes several steps before you can even qualify to test for it. There are also steps to be taken after administration of the exam, so make sure to be thorough.
Assuming you already have a class A, B, or C CDL, you will need to complete the following, and each step is a process so be prepared:
- Complete a “Hazardous Materials Endorsement” application. This can be completed either through your state’s DMV or TSA themselves. Check with your state to see which is required.
- Once you have completed your endorsement application, you must then pass a medical screening in order to obtain your Department of Transportation Medical Card.
- You may now schedule and take your CDL HAZMAT Test. Please note that passing this test is NOT the final step.
- Upon passing the CDL HAZMAT Test, you are then required to submit a TSA Background Security Clearance. This is a requirement for your Class H Endorsement, which is a requirement for the overall CDL HAZMAT Endorsement. For the most part, you can register for this screening directly through the TSA Website, however residents of the following states will need to register through their DMV first:
- New York
- Upon completion of the entire process, TSA will send an official notice of completion to you as well as your state. Once the state receives their copy, you will then obtain your CDL HAZMAT Endorsement.
In general, the CDL HAZMAT Test will assess your understanding of:
- Federal and State HAZMAT Regulations
- Your responsibilities regarding the safe transportation of hazardous materials
- How to safely load and unload hazardous materials
The CDL HAZMAT Endorsement consists of two separate endorsements:
- Class H Endorsement- Hazardous Materials- This endorsement indicates your understanding of hazardous materials overall. This endorsement is obtained through a written exam in conjunction with a TSA threat assessment.
- Class X Endorsement- Combination of Tank Vehicles and Hazardous Materials- This endorsement indicates your understanding of hazardous materials as they relate to transportation in a tank vehicle. This requires only a written exam.
It is important to use the appropriate HAZMAT practice tests for each endorsement as well as the CDL HAZMAT Endorsement itself.
CDL HAZMAT Application and Test Administration
As noted before, there are steps to be taken before the HAZMAT Test can be administered. Be sure to complete these steps thoroughly and correctly. Before taking your test, you must enroll in a TSA screening and schedule a visit to your closest authorized application center. You will be required to submit original or certified copies of a state-issued identification, social security card, or birth certificate. You will then have your photograph and fingerprints taken and be on your way.
As it pertains to actual administration of the CDL HAZMAT Test, again the particular details will vary according to your state. Please refer to your state’s requirements for CDL HAZMAT Testing.
For the most part, you will be able to take your CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Test at the same testing center in which you took your Class A, B, or C CDL test.
In most cases, the CDL HAZMAT test consists of about 30 or more questions. These questions will test your knowledge on various aspects of safe transportation and handling of hazardous materials, including:
- Reasons for the Regulations
- Bulk Tank Marking, Loading, Unloading
- Your Responsibilities as a HAZMAT Driver
- Driving and Parking Regulations
- Rules Pertaining to Communications
- Emergency Situations
- Safe Loading and Unloading
Most states require a passing score of 80% in order to grant a CDL HAZMAT Endorsement (assuming completion of additional requirements). This means that one must answer at least 24 questions correctly on a typical 30 question test.
Check with your state of residence for more details.
CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Application and Test Fees
Fees for the actual test itself will vary based on which state you are obtaining your CDL HAZMAT Certification in. In any case, expect to pay at least $100-$125 from start to finish.
TSA CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Application Fees
The bulk of the cost will go towards your TSA background screening and Threat Assessment check:
- For most applicants, the TSA screening will cost $86.50.
- Some applicants are eligible for a reduced rate of $67.
Visit the TSA HAZMAT Endorsement Application Page to apply and to see which fee you will be required to pay.
State CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Test Fees
Fees for the test itself will depend on the state in which you live. As an example, Pennsylvania charges a fairly typical fee of $30.50.
Please check with your particular state's CDL manual for more information.
CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Requirements
Successful completion of the CDL HAZMAT Test is required for any Class A, B, or C CDL holder who wishes to transport hazardous materials. Requirements for obtaining your CDL HAZMAT Endorsement must be met before you may take your test. In order to earn your Endorsement, you must:
- Complete a “Hazardous Materials Endorsement” application.
- Obtain your Department of Transportation Medical Card through a medical screening
- Schedule and take your CDL HAZMAT Test. Please note that passing this test is NOT the final step.
- Submit to a TSA Background Security Clearance.
- Wait for TSA to send an official notice of completion to you as well as your state.
Remember that while the entire process is extensive, none of the effort matters if you do not pass your CDL HAZMAT Endorsement Test. Be sure to practice using the many resources listed above including several CDL HAZMAT practice tests.
CDL HAZMAT Test Scores
You will not receive the actual score you earned on your CDL HAZMAT Test. You will only be notified of whether you did or did not earn your CDL HAZMAT Endorsement once you have completed all requirements.
Typically, most states require a passing score of 80% in order to grant a CDL HAZMAT Endorsement (assuming completion of additional requirements). This means that one must answer at least 24 questions correctly on a typical 30 question test.
Find more detailed information for your state’s CDL HAZMAT Test here.
CDL HAZMAT Test F.A.Q.
How many questions are on the CDL HAZMAT test?
How do I apply to take the CDL HAZMAT test?
How much does it cost to take the CDL HAZMAT Test?
The CDL HAZMAT Endorsement is an important step to maximizing your earnings as a CDL driver. Make sure you are utilizing all available studying materials and CDL HAZMAT practice tests and take the next step in your career today.